Parking and Transportation News
PTS No Longer Using Zimride
Effective May 20, 2013, Parking & Transportation Services is no longer using Zimride for ride-matching/ride-sharing at the University. However, we are using a very similar application for those looking for a) one-time ride-sharing or for b) existing carpools or vanpools or to create a new carpool or vanpool. Go to GreenRide Connect here - http://www.isharearide.org/u-m
Southbound Commuter Detour
Southbound Commuter buses will be on detour due to a steam tunnel project that is closing South University between Tappan and State Street until late August. The detour route will be South University to Tappan to Monroe to State Street. There will be a temporary bus stop at Hutchins Hall on Monroe at State. Although it is not expected that on-time performance will be impacted, there may be certain times when delays could occur. Northbound Commuter service will be on the regular route.
In addition, AATA #36 will be following this route but will be serving the regular stop on State just south of Monroe.
May is Commuter Challenge Month
Let's Make a Move!
The Commuter Challenge is a month long competition that encourages employees throughout Ann Arbor to try alternative commuting during the month of May. Bus, bike, walk or carpool/vanpool - whatever they choose, the Commuter Challenge makes alternative commuting fun and easy. Whether a lifetime change or just something they try once, employees will get prizes, save money, and have a great time with their coworkers!
The Commuter Challenge is all about teamwork. Participants sign up as part of their organization, logging commutes and taking part in weekly challenges that inspire them to keep up their alternative commutes and have some fun.
Find out more about the Challenge and Register today at www.letsmakeamove.org!
- Grand Prize: Organizations win the grand prize by getting the highest participation in their size category. The grand prize is a celebration at their worksite, with free food and drinks!
- Team Spirit Challenges: Every week during the Challenge, individuals will be asked to submit photos and other items that promote team spirit around alternative commuting. Organizations that win the weekly challenges will be eligible for an award to display at their worksite. Individuals who participate in the weekly challenges will be eligible for all sorts of prizes, including restaurant gift cards, coffee gift cards, and more!
- Participant Prize: Every person who logs just one commute on the Commuter Challenge website during May will receive a coupon for free ice cream from Washtenaw Dairy. We will also have a non-dairy option.
How Employees Can Register for the Commuter Challenge
- Registration is open now!
- Visit www.letsmakeamove.org
- Create an account and click on the Register button
- Get co-workers to sign up, too!
- On May 1st, a special section of the Commuter Challenge will open up so employees can start logging
- When an employee logs their first commute, they'll get a free ice cream coupon.
- Organizations with the highest participation in their size category by the end of the Challenge will win the grand prize: a party at their worksite!
- Each week will celebrate the benefits of each alternative commuting method: walking, biking, busing, and carpooling/vanpooling. Whatever you choose, we'll help make it fun!
Promote the Challenge!
Promote the Challenge at your worksite. We've got some great ideas as well as downloadable posters, email
blurbs, and more! Go here for all of our promotional items: www.promote.letsmakeamove.org
Commuter Challenge Features
- Stats: Starting May 1, employees will be able to log alternative commutes (walk, bike, bus,
telecommute, moped/motorcycle) and view individual stats on the number of calories burned, C02 saved and
miles logged during the Challenge. Organizations will be able to see how they rank against organizations of
similar size on miles logged, C02 reduced, number of commutes, and percentage of participating employees.
- Social Media: Employees and Organizations can interact with the Commuter Challenge over social media by visiting either TheRide's or getDowntown's Facebook page and Twitter Feeds:
Commuter Challenge Events
Commuter Challenge Pep Events
- At your worksite: Before the Challenge, the getDowntown Program and TheRide can come to your worksite with Trivia and Cupcakes to get your employees excited about the Commuter Challenge. Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to set something up.
- Public Pep Events: We are also hosting two public Pep events where employees will enjoy trivia and free food and drinks!
- After work event: April 17, 5:30, Arbor Brewing Company Tap Room
- Lunch event: April 23, 12pm, Workantile Exchange with food from Jerusalem Garden
- Space is limited! Employees can RSVP for the public events at tinyurl.com/ccpeprally
Green Commute Day (May 1) and Week (May 1-5)
The first day of the Commuter Challenge is Green Commute Day. Organizations are encouraged to take a group picture of co-workers wearing green to win great prizes. During this week, we'll have a weekly challenge and other fun on Facebook and Twitter.
Bus to Work Week (May 6-12)
Look for a bus commute themed weekly challenge and contests via the getDowntown and TheRide Facebook and Twitter Feeds. We may also have a Bus Stop Blitz where you can win prizes just for taking the bus. AATA employees will board buses and hand out fun prizes.
Bike to Work Week (May 13-19)
Bike Commuting Stations for National Bike to Work Day (May 17, 2013): We'll be celebrating all things biking during National Bike to Work Day. Stop by a bike commuting station for free food, drinks, and other great stuff. Want to host a bike commuting station? Email us at email@example.com for an informational packet.
Walk to Work Week (May 20-26)
Walk to Work Week Prize Patrol: Get rewarded for walking to work! The getDowntown Program and TheRide will be giving away free drink cards at select locations to anyone who stops by and shows their I Walk to Work Button, or tells us that they walked to work (pins are available at the getDowntown Office at 518 E. Washington).
Carpool and Vanpool to Work Week (May 27-May 31)
Check your email for a special Carpool/Vanpool-themed Weekly Challenge. Also learn more about TheRide's new Rideshare website that will make it easy for you to find a carpool partner.