- Student Parking
- Who is Eligible to Purchase a U-M Student Parking Permit?
- Free Parking Options and Alternatives
- Paid Parking Options
- Available Student Parking Permits
- Additional Options for Graduate Students
- Student Storage Parking Options
- Parking Options for Disabled Students (All Class Levels)
Students have many options available for getting around campus and Ann Arbor, so personal vehicles are not usually necessary.
Students may ride any Ann Arbor Transportation Authority (AATA) bus route for free by showing their valid University of Michigan Mcard ID to the bus driver. There are also a number of other options for student parking, which are detailed in this guide. Since parking for students at the U-M is very limited, you are strongly encouraged to leave your vehicle at home. For commuting students and those who absolutely must bring their vehicles to campus, it is important to understand that:
- Parking is intended for commuting students.
- Student parking is located offsite.
- Lots are accessible by bus or, in certain locations, within walking distance of the campus.
- Very limited storage parking is available.
- Except for the limited student storage parking areas, all vehicles must be moved within 48 hours.
- The AATA Park & Ride lots are available to daily student commuters, including freshman and sophomores. Overnight parking is not allowed in these lots.
- Private parking is available off-campus, but it too is limited.
- Parking and Transportation Services (PTS) does not issue permits for University Student Housing or Northwood Community Apartments parking lots.
Please note: Only parking options obtained from and issued by PTS are valid in University lots and structures. Reproduction of any parking permit is a violation of University policy. Students are not eligible for faculty and staff parking permits (Gold, Blue, Yellow or Orange), and any such permits or gate access obtained from sources other than PTS will be confiscated, and the individuals involved will be subject to penalties.
Who is Eligible to Purchase a U-M Student Parking Permit?
See Student Eligibility for more information.
Free Parking Options and Alternatives
Paid Parking Options
Student parking permits are available to juniors, seniors and graduate students only. Class level is determined by your status as stated in the University's student database. Transfer students may need confirmation of their class level from their University advisor. Advisors may e-mail PTS at firstname.lastname@example.org to provide confirmation. Information should include the student's name, University Identification number and class status.
Please note the following:
- Student permits may be ordered online from mid-April through mid-August or purchased at the PTS (Parking and Transportation Services ) office located at 523 South Division Street. Office hours are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Tuesday, 7:30-11:30 a.m., 1:00-4:30 p.m.
- To qualify for a student parking permit, you must have attained junior, senior or graduate student status and must be registered for classes.
- Student permits are valid for one full year (July 1 through June 30).
- Juniors and seniors are limited to the Student Orange permit only.
- Graduate students have several parking permit choices. However, you may select only one parking option.
- A U-M Mcard ID must be presented at the time of purchase.
- All student permits must be paid in full at the time of purchase. Payment methods include: cash, check (payable to the University of Michigan) or credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover).
- You may purchase permits throughout the permit year until the cap is reached. Please note that permit sales have not reached the capped limit in the past four permit years.
- Permits may be returned at any time to PTS for a prorated refund. Refunds are limited to amounts pre-paid, excluding the month the option is returned.
Available Student Parking Permits
Student Orange Permit (Juniors, Seniors and Graduate Students)
Approximately 2,000 parking permits are available. Permits are valid for daily parking only and not to be used for "storage" parking. Permits are honored in any North or South Campus Orange lot. They are not honored in the Orange lots on Medical Campus. The valid Orange parking lots include SC6, SC7, SC36, NC32, NC46, NC51, NC52, NC78, NC90 and NC91. Orange lots are located on the perimeter of campus and are served by University buses. The cost of the permit is prorated per an established schedule the 1st and 15th of each month. See the Proration Schedule (pdf opens in new window) for current pricing.
Additional Options for Graduate Students
Graduate students have the following additional parking options:
Student Yellow Permit
The Student Yellow permit is valid in any North or South Campus Yellow or Orange lot. It is not honored on Medical Campus, Lot M71 (Fuller Road), M50 and M87 (Wall Street), the Fuller Pool lot, or Lot NC40 on North Campus (Stearns Building). The valid Yellow and Orange parking lots include SC4, SC5, SC6, SC7, SC9, SC16, SC17, SC35, SC36, SC38, NC9, NC32, NC34, NC46, NC51, NC52, NC53, NC61, NC62, NC63, NC65, NC78, NC83, NC85, NC90, NC91, NC92, NC96 and NC99. Permits are valid for daytime parking only and not to be used for "storage" parking. The cost of the permit is prorated per an established schedule the 1st and 15th of each month. See the Proration Schedule (pdf opens in new window) for current pricing.
After Hours Parking
The After Hours hang tag is valid in Blue parking from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m., Monday through Friday, and 24 hours on the weekends. The cost of the After Hours parking option is prorated per an established schedule the 1st and 15th of each month. Access to the structures is via your Mcard ID. See the Proration Schedule (pdf opens in new window) for current pricing.
Student Orange/After Hours Parking Permit
The Student Orange/After Hours permit is a dual permit combining two student parking options: Student Orange and After Hours. Permits will be honored in any North or South Campus Orange lot (except in the Orange lots on Medical Campus) and honored in Blue parking from 3 p.m. to 5 a.m., Monday through Friday, and 24 hours on the weekends. See Student Orange information listed above for valid Orange parking lots. The cost of the permit is prorated per an established schedule the 1st and 15th of each month. See the Proration Schedule (pdf opens in new window) for current pricing.
Student Yellow/After Hours Parking Permit
The Student Yellow/After Hours permit is a dual permit combining two student parking options: Student Yellow and After Hours. Permits will be honored at any North or South Campus Yellow or Orange lot (except for Lot NC40 - Stearns Building and the lots located on Medical Campus), and in Blue parking from 3 pm to 5 am, Monday through Friday, and 24 hours on the weekends. See Student Yellow information listed above for valid Orange and Yellow parking lots. The cost of the permit is prorated per an established schedule the 1st and 15th of each month. See the Proration Schedule (pdf opens in new window) for current pricing.
Student Storage Parking Options
"Storage" parking was designed for students who bring their vehicles to campus but don't need to use them frequently, or who don't qualify for student parking permits. The City of Ann Arbor Downtown Development Authority and the University have storage parking options available on a limited basis. Storage parking is available to all students, including freshmen and sophomores.
City of Ann Arbor Downtown Development Authority (DDA) Parking Option
The DDA has 108 parking spaces, including three handicap-accessible spaces, available on First Street, at the northeast corner of First and William streets. The lot is approximately 6 blocks from Central Campus. Monthly parking permits are available. Call (734) 997-1310 for information about current availability.
University Housing has a very limited number of parking permits available on a priority basis for University Housing residents for Lot NC32 and NC33 by Baits Houses and at Lot NC31 by Bursley Hall. The permits are valid for the academic year (September - April) for an annual fee (rate prorates per month). The lot is serviced by the U-M Bursley/Baits bus from 7 a.m. to 12:20 a.m., Monday through Friday, and by the U-M North Campus bus from 7:45 a.m. to 2:35 a.m., Saturday and Sunday. For further information about residence hall parking, go to http://www.housing.umich.edu/reshalls/parking. For information about parking at the Northwood community Apartments, go to http://www.housing.umich.edu/northwood/parking.
Parking and Transportation Services (PTS)
PTS has 50 Student Storage parking spaces available in Lot NC32 - North Campus, by old Baits I Housing. During the Fall and Winter terms, the lot is served by the U-M Bursley-Baits route (Monday - Friday 7:15 a.m. to 12:15 a.m.; Weekends Noon to 12:15 a.m.) and the U-M North Campus route (Monday - Friday 12:30 a.m. to 2:35 a.m.; Weekends 8:40 a.m. to 2:40 a.m.).
Distribution is first come, first served. The cost of the permit is prorated per an established schedule the 1st and 15th of each month.
Parking Options for Disabled Students (All Class Levels)
Please see Disability Parking for more information.